Thursday, July 11, 2013

Honesty Alert: Uncertainty

My year of service is over in less than a month. A few short weeks actually. And I'll be honest: I have no idea what I'm doing next.



It's terrifying and liberating all at the same time. I'm the kind of person who has always needed a plan. I make a choice and I go with it almost to the point that I become blinded to any other opportunities that might present themselves. It's kinda my thing.

But now, with weeks left until my end of service and many possibilities but no definites I'm forced to face the reality of the situation: I have very little control in this. It's about patience and trust. Honestly, it's a little difficult to write about. It makes me feel irresponsible. Why don't you have you're life together and know all the answers, self? The truth is if I were to have made plans for this coming year, or agreed to the ones that seemed to be shaping earlier, I would have been rushing myself into a choice just to have it made. I wouldn't have given myself time to chose wisely, I would have just made a plan. to have a plan So instead, basically I chose uncertainty. This time, my choice was to slow down, evaluate options, try my best, and wait.

It's hard to do that. All the negative stereotypes about Millennials being lazy or entitled makes me feel like I need to work THAT much harder to proved that is not the case, as least for the majority of Millennials I know. To every risk, every endeavor, every opportunity, there is an element of uncertainty that looms above like a rain cloud over a picnic. Am I qualified? Do I actually know what I want? If I'm in a position to accomplish big things, will I be good enough?

That goes beyond the professional arena as well. Where to live? How do I continue to foster and maintain friendships as we grow older and move along in our lives? Will the choices I make now influence advancement for the rest of my life? AHHH.

Such is the life of a 20-something over-thinker.

Have you ever felt this way? Like you almost needed to accept uncertainty to gain perspective? Or maybe you didn't chose it but it's being forced on you and now you have to make the best of it. Is this what is referred to as a quarter-life crisis? Any advice? I'd love to know.

Sheila

P.S. Is making the world a better place too broad to be a long-term goal? :)

P.S.S. Don't forget about the giveaway! I'm at least certain that's awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! Thanks so much for stopping by. Please feel free to leave a comment with your thoughts or subscribe using the buttons on the top right so we can get together again soon. Thanks friend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...